Third Man Tour
Even after 50 years of his death in the sewers of Vienna, Orson Welles' Harry Lime still haunts the city. The scars of the war have long disappeared but surprisingly, most of the locations of Carol Reed's 1949 film noir classic have remained unchanged.
On this exciting tour follow us through the cobbled lanes and hidden courtyards of Old Vienna that inspired author Graham Greene, see the places where Harry Lime lived, appeared, disappeared and eventually died, and learn the fascinating story of how one of the all-time greatest films was made and what Vienna was like in the days of Allied occupation, Cold War espionage and the black market.
The Naschmarkt has existed since the 16th century when mainly milk bottles were sold. As Milk Bottles were made out of Ash (Wood from an Ash-Tree), "Asch"(English for "Ash") led to the name "Aschenmarkt".
Vienna’s best-known market has around 120 market stands and small restaurants for a colourful culinary offering ranging from Viennese to Indian, from Vietnamese to Italian. The Naschmarkt has developed into a meeting point for young and old. The Flea Market on Saturday is already a cult event from dawn till dusk. Nowadays, you can buy fresh fruit and vegetables from around the world, exotic herbs, cheese, baked goods such as bread, Kaiser rolls, torte, meats, and seafood. 4., Naschmarkt
This famous ensemble consists of three apartment houses. Otto Wagner himself financed the weather-resistant tile cladding of the "Majolikahaus" (No. 40).
The continuous plant ornamentation emphasizes the surface. Wagner achieves an individualisation of the buildings at the junctions (balconies, cornices, set-off corner). 6., Linke Wienzeile 40, Linke Wienzeile 38/Köstlergasse 1, Köstlergasse 3
Sky bars & restaurants
Situated right at the Vienna Danube channel, Le LOFT sky bar & restaurant offers an extraordinary view from the 18th floor. The Alsatian inspired restaurant is a hotspot for lovers of gourmet food thanks to the kitchen concept of French chef Antoine Westermann.
With his numerous awards – including three Michelin stars – he is considered one of the most celebrated chefs in France. An absolute highlight is the all round glass window. From this slightly different Vienna restaurant you can enjoy a hitherto unprecedented view of Vienna, with Stephansdom right at your fingertips. 2., Praterstrasse 1
Located on the top floor of the Steffl department store, the Sky Bar offers an excellent panorama over the old center of the city, St. Charles Church, the Giant Ferris Wheel, and many other attractions.
In the glass panorama elevator, guests of Sky Bar float directly from Kärntner Strasse to the top floor of "Steffl". There, Sky Café offers Italian coffee specialties, delicious snacks for a refreshing stop – including a great view – between shopping and sightseeing. In the evening, one can enjoy this view at the Sky Restaurant, where one finds Mediterranean specialties and Asian stir-fry dishes in addition to Austrian classics such as Wiener Schnitzel or Tafelspitz. 1., Kärntnerstrasse 19
Palace of Justice
The Palace of Justice offers a roof café with a breathtaking panoramic view over the old city of Vienna.
The Palace of Justice is located in Schmerlingplatz, a square of the central district of Innere Stadt. It was projected by Alexander Wielemans von Monteforte and built, from 1875 to 1881, in a neo-renaissance style.
The building was set on fire in 1927 after violent demonstrations following the collapse of Creditanstalt, the largest bank in Austria. 1., Museumsstrasse 12
St. Michael's Church
St. Michael's Church dedicated to the Archangel Michael, is one of the oldest churches in Vienna and also one of its few remaining Romanesque buildings. Over time, there have been many alterations, resulting in its present day aspect, unchanged since 1792. This church, close to the Michaeler wing of the Hofburg, used to be the parish church of the Imperial Court.
St. Michael's is also famous for its Michaelergruft, a large crypt located underneath the church. Only noblemen and rich citizens were buried in the crypt, with rich families able to purchase their own expensive family crypts. The proceeds of these sales were used to maintain the crypt.
Due to the special climatic conditions and constant temperature in the crypt, more than 4000 corpses were kept well preserved. Hundreds of mummified corpses, some still in burial finery or with a wig, are on display, some in open coffins, adorned with flowers or skulls, others decorated with Baroque paintings or with vanitas. 1., Habsburgergasse 12
In 1898, Joseph Maria Olbrich, a student of Otto Wagner, constructed an Art Nouveau gallery building for a new art association named "Secession" that had the motto "To the Age its Art. To Art its Freedom".
It is a synthesis of the Archaic and the Modern, of a "sacred" entrance area and a functional exhibition hall. Plan and elevation are developed from the cross-shape of the vestibule.
A 112-foot Beethoven Frieze that was created by Gustav Klimt for the Beethoven Exhibition of 1902, is on permanent display in a new room on the basement level.
The Beethoven Frieze was originally intended as an ephemeral work of art and, like the other decorative paintings, it was to be removed after the close of the exhibition. It was only owing to fortunate circumstances, that the frieze was not destroyed as planned: the Secession was to present the following year a major Klimt retrospective (XVIIIth exhibition, 1903), and it was decided to leave the work of art in place. 1., Friedrichstrasse 12
Old General Hospital
The Vienna General Hospital (German: Allgemeines Krankenhaus der Stadt Wien) (AKH) is the University medical center of the city of ViennaThe AKH is the largest hospital of Austria and Europe. It is also the site of the Medical University of Vienna.
At the end of the 1990ies, the new Campus of the University of Vienna was created at the site of the General Hospital. The huge building from the 18th century was redesigned with interesting architectural solutions, and became the home of 16 different cultural studies departments.
In research, the General Hospital played an important role. Personalities of international standing of the Vienna Medical School, from Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865), Theodor Billroth (1829-1894) to Karl Landsteiner (1868-1943) worked here. 9., University Vienna